Friday, March 20, 2009

Silverman Documentary from a pregnant view

I was very excited to see the Silverman documentary last night. I wanted to see how the terrain looked, is it as hard as it seems to us that live here, as brutal, as beautiful. The show did not disappoint. It was a really cool look into a very tough race. Izaac, Stef and the other athletes got to relive the race from a spectators perception. I was once again blown away by the horrendous weather at the swim start. It was very cool to see on film and I think a lot of the athletes didn't realize how bad things were for awhile (they were too focused on racing!)

The desert looked beautiful (just as my mind sees it) and equally as desolate and unforgiving. I am in awe of these racers that can overcome not only the physical toughness of this course but also the mental. It is a very solitary bike ride into the vastness of Lake Mead. Nothing but hills and Desert landscape for the majority of the race.

Anyhoo, I'm sitting there, enjoying the movie for about an hour when slowly, the queasiness caught up to me. I think I am getting car sick sitting in a movie theater!! Have you ever been to an Imax theater where you are "in the movie"...like riding a roller coaster or something similar? Well, that's what I felt like. The constant rolling terrain, the rolling of the bike tires, the rolling clouds in the distance... bam! I am getting sicker by the minute. Finally, I had to leave the movie or face major embarrassment by throwing up everywhere. I would like to see it again, maybe on a normal TV, probably when I'm no longer pregnant! It makes me a little quesy just thinking about it :-) That has been an interesting side effect of being preggers...motion sickness. It is something I rarely experience in "normal" life and I am hoping it goes away.

In other pregnancy news, I am very happy to say that the stitch and rest seem to be working and working well! My cervix is lengthening and staying closed which is better than I could have hoped for. I have one more appt next week and if nothing changes, I should be done with the perinatal visits. I will be officially 27 weeks on Sunday. I think that starts my 3rd trimester!? We also have a baby growth scan next week to see how big he is getting. I can tell by my belly that he is getting big! Thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes, they have helped!!







Here are some ultrasound pics of the little one.







26 weeks





23 weeks (3d of his feet and hands. so cool!)





26 weeks again





This is one of my favorites! He was 15 weeks. So tiny yet a complete little human :-)


Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

SWTrigal said...

So glad you and baby are fine. A little triathlete growing in there. As for Silverman, OMG I can't imagine..I get sick in the movies that have those hand held camera deals or IMAX. I have to take anti-seasick pills for all that stuff-even home movies. I am such a wuss! At least you have a good excuse!

Calyx Meredith said...

Love the 3D picture! Sorry you had to miss out on part of the Silverman movie - but believe me, I get it. Also - what you said about the conditions of the race and the landscape - so poetic! I love that I can picture it from this summer. I was amazed at how sharp and bright Lake Mead stood out from the desert around it. I can remember the baking feeling of that wind. I'd love to see that movie sometime. I'm so proud of my buddies who did that race.

You only have 13 weeks to go! Can't wait for that little fellow to get here. Take care of yourself.

Formulaic said...

13 weeks!! He'll be here before we know it!

Better get some sleep in!

ShirleyPerly said...

How cool to see that race from a spectator's perspective after having raced it. I can imagine the athletes being too focused to realize the weather conditions at the start. Months and months of training and the only thing on their mind is getting it done!

And wow, only 13 weeks left? Time sure seems to be flying!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Ok - this comment has nothing to do with your post but I wanted to say thanks for answering my question about the fins!! That makes sense to me - flexibility and supporting yourself while you work on other aspects. And variety - variety helps a lot!

Also - I just found out my little sister is having a baby boy too - on August 17th! (She has to have a planned C-section b/c of some health issues.) I went to the store and bought her a copy of Skinny Bitch - Bun in the Oven. Do you know that book? It's all about eating healthy while pregnant - and it's funny and sassy! Anyway - thought of you and thought I'd pass it along. Peace, oh preggers one! :D